Tax Information

The following information is in regard to US tax information only. And the attached document will provide information for both US citizens and those living in the US with residency status.

Ohh no! Taxes and dirty-hippy-hair, that won't bode well for our protagonist.

Here’s  a link that provides a lot of information regarding paying taxes in the US while living somewhere else. But, from my brief perusal, it doesn’t look like you all will have to pay anything unless you have investments or are earning a lot of money.

The following are just a few relevant sections:

Scholarships and fellowships:  The employee must adequately account to 2009 that you were being transferred to a foreign of a scholarship or fellowship grant that is paid to the employer for these expenses within a country. You arrived in the foreign country on you for teaching, research or other services is reasonable period of time. Certain scholarship and fellowship in- imbursement of moving expenses may be 2009 (the year of the move), the reimbursement come may be exempt under other pro- earned income. You must include as earned is considered pay for services performed in the visions.

See Publication 970, Tax income: The section titled “TIP” for those living in a foreign country for both 2009 and 2010.

Benefits for Education, chapter 1. (Page 17)

Limit on Excludable Amount:  Meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test. You may be able to exclude up to $91,500 of your foreign earned income in 2010. You cannot exclude more than the smaller normally come and it comes before the months once you are physically present and of: $91,500, or full days, or your foreign earned income (discussed earlier) for the tax year minus your foreign  housing exclusion (discussed later).

Together, you and your spouse can exclude as on January 1, 2010, is considered earned in $18,801, of your foreign earned income for much as $183,000.

As for Canada, you do have to pay taxes, but the tax structure is really simple to figure out and you’re likely get all of your money back. Taxes will be automatically deducted from your monthly pay-check unless you opt out of them by talking to Western’s Human Resources department. But after you get you’re SIN and fill out your income tax forms, you will qualify for a number of reimbursements from both the federal and provincial governments (for example, the harmonized sales tax credit will make three payments to you a year, if you qualify, of just under $100). So, once you all start to arrive, I’ll begin posting information about how to get a SIN number. This will also speed up your scholarship applications. 


About Amy Wuest

This entry was posted in Work. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Tax Information

  1. Amy Wuest says:

    If you have tax questions about other countries, let me know. I can’t promise anything, but I can try my very best to find some resources for you. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s